Trusting God in 2019
January 5, 2019
It is a new year. Last week I reflected on the previous year. Sometimes the new year provides this mindset that we have a new start and a new opportunity to make things better than the last year.
There are some things coming up in a few months that are big decisions and in this moment I am not sure which direction to take. I am hoping for a particular outcome, but I am not entirely sure which is the right way.
There is a Scripture in Proverbs I often turn to in moments like these.
Trust the Lord with all your heart,
and don’t depend on your own understanding.
Remember the Lord in all you do,
and he will give you success. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
The writer of Proverbs reminds us to trust God in all that we do and not depend on our own understanding. It is so easy to think this way is the right way but sometimes we do not know all there is to know to make the right choice. In that moment we need to trust God.
After much prayer and thought I have come up with seven things I would like to experience this year.
1. receive the baptism of the Holy spirit to be empowered for life and ministry. (Acts 1:8)
2. Experience complete healing in my legs and feet from the mysterious condition that came seven years ago (Matthew 8:16-17)
3. Understand and experience the keys to an abundant life (John 10:10)
4. Leave the desert, cross the Jordan, and enter the physical promise land on earth (Joshua 3)
5. Be connected to a church and community where I can grow, blong, and serve. (Romans 12:4-5)
6. Establish a ministry using my passions and abilities to impact and encourage people’s lives for God’s glory. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
7. Become a biological father. (Psalm 127)
At the start of this year, I do not feel very hopeful, and I am certainly not experiencing the full, deep, and abundant life. I am discouraged at times and somehow holding on to hope that things will change soon.
I feel happy when I write an encouraging reflection about something amazing that happened during the week but as I start this year, I am struggling to remain hopeful about this year.
What hopes and desires do you need to trust God for this year?
Father in Heaven, as I start this year I am not feeling too hopeful. I feel discouraged about some things and not sure what to do. I put my trust in You and ask for Your wisdom and guidance for these things. I pray those who are reading this are encouraged about this year and the great things that You will do in our lives.